Farrer’s Agriculture and Food Experience Day
Farrer invited government primary schools, from around the Tamworth area, which created a great deal of interest with around 250 pupils attending the day.
We ran two sessions on the day rotating the students through six activities each of which ran for approximately 20 minutes.
The things the Year 3 & 4 students learnt about were:
- Types of cattle: Brief outline of the various types of cattle, differences and end uses. (Hands on demonstration cow, calf, heifer, steer and bull)
- Chickens: Comparison of layer and meat chickens + collection of eggs.
- Beef Cattle Meat cuts: painting of various meat cuts on a live animal.
- Plants from seeds: a look at a variety of plant seeds and the products that are produced from each
- Sheep and Fleece: a brief introduction into the Australia wool in meat sheep industries
- Cooking: Making butter, milkshakes, juice and bacon and eggs. Looking at the various fresh cuts of meat.