As part of a decade study you could look at the types of food Australians ate during that decade and add in the influence of migrants on our eating habits.
HISTORY AND GEOGRAPHY IDEAS FOR 7-10
Topic 1b – MOVEMENT OF PEOPLES (1750-1901)
The experiences of slaves, convicts and free settlers upon departure, their journey abroad, and their reactions on arrival, including the Australian experience.
- Use farms as site studies to study the experiences of people who farmed Australian soil
- Historically investigate the buildings on the property
Topic 2a – MAKING A NATION
The experiences of non-Europeans in Australia prior to the 1900s (such as the Japanese, Chinese South-sea Islanders and Afghans)
- Using farms as site studies, describe how they lived and worked in Australia (e.g. Joe Takasuka – Japanese rice farmer)
- Observe the buildings and equipment used in twentieth century Australia.
The Agrarian Revolution is the big point in year 7 overview course
- We started farming and then the next thing we know… Civilisation!
- The Big History Project website has great resources on this. David Christian basically considers agrarian revolution as one of the 8 great thresholds crossed in the history of the universe.